Cough is one of the most common symptoms of colds, delivering a lot of inconvenience. There are more than enough medications to treat coughs, most of which are sold without a prescription. It is worth noting that the choice of medication is determined by a number of nuances, chief among which is the type of cough you have dry or wet. In our recommendation material, you can read the top 12 best and most effective cough medicines in 2022, their pharmacological properties, pros and cons.
Dry cough (medically unproductive) is accompanied by systematic, excruciating attacks and a scratchy throat, and is treated with anti-cough medications.
Wet cough (medically speaking, productive cough) during which sputum escapes. In the case where the sputum does not come out well, it is recommended to use expectorants that increase its production or mucolytics, which accompany less viscous sputum, liquefying it.
The best cough remedies
10 +. Ambroxol
Of a number of mucolytic agents commonly used during productive coughs and colds of the respiratory tract. Ambroxol promotes expectoration of sputum, treats chronic and acute bronchitis. This medication combines with a number of other medications, increasing the effectiveness of anti-inflammatory and antibacterial therapy. The drug is very safe, so it is also prescribed for children.
- No narcotic effect;
- Rapid response.
- Allergic reactions.
Effective drug in the treatment of wet, productive cough. The drug is available as a mixture and in tablets and causes an expectorant and mucolytic process. The medication reduces the viscosity level of sputum, and increases its volume and softens its discharge. Medicinal effect usually occurs two to five days after initiation of use. Bromhexin is used during wet cough, chronic and acute bronchopulmonary diseases, including trachebronchitis, pulmonary emphysema. The drug is contraindicated in children under 6 years of age and pregnant women during the first trimester. If absolutely necessary, the drug may be used for up to four weeks without interruption.
- Provides a complex treatment;
- Strengthens the expectorant effect;
- Virtually no contraindications.
- Strictly contraindicated in people suffering from peptic ulcer disease.
- It should not be used at the same time as a drug that contains codeine.
9. Bronchodilatine syrup
Therapeutic syrup that expands the bronchi and has a profound anti-cough and anti-inflammatory effect. The combination drug is considered safe and quickly relieves the condition, it is also used in pediatrics, for the treatment of children from 3 years old, basil oil in the syrup has antispasmodic and antimicrobial effects, ephedrine stimulates breathing, expanding the bronchi. Bronchodilators are not recommended for use during pregnancy and lactation.
- In the presence of a handy measuring cup;
- High anti-cough effect;
- Based on medicinal herbs;
- Contraindicated in long-term use;
- Side effects: insomnia
Ginger Tea | 100% Relief in 2 mins |Best Home Remedy For Cold, Cough & Sore Throat | Turmeric Ginger
A very effective drug, which contains only one active component – an extract of medicinal marshmallow containing polysaccharides. In the treatment of wet productive cough, one of the most common drugs. Mucaltin increases bronchial secretion and has an anti-inflammatory effect. On average, the allowed course of treatment is 1 -2 weeks.
Side effects: Allergic reactions possible. Mucaltin tablets can be swallowed, or dissolved in a small amount of water, which is considered more effective.
- A natural product;
- Has no contraindications;
- Has a pleasant taste;
- Can be used by pregnant women (as directed by doctor)
- Contraindicated in diabetes;
- Contraindicated in acute conditions of the gastrointestinal tract.
Best liquid cough medicine. Combined syrup with caramel flavor of wet and dry cough has a complex action: promotes the transition of dry cough into a wet one, helps eliminate sputum, reduces inflammation and mucosal edema. No side effects of this medicine have been identified, it can be safely combined with other medicines. Stodal can be used by adults and children of any age.
- It has a pleasant taste;
- Convenient dosage;
- Can be used by pregnant women (as directed by your doctor)
- Ethyl alcohol content;
- High price;
- No selection of homeopathic remedies.
Therapeutic drug, a productive remedy for dry cough, suitable for adults, and children. The drug provides thinning of sputum and has an anti-inflammatory effect. The use of Libexin helps to suppress the cough reflex and reduce the sensitivity of the cough receptor. The drug should be used with particular caution in young children.
- Eliminates chronic and painful cough;
- Not addictive;
- Evacuates sputum;
- Effective in treating respiratory diseases, regardless of their stage.
- Contains sucrose;
- Associated with allergies and bronchospasm;
- Contraindicated for prolonged use.
A combination drug that has mucolytic action and prevents the cough reflex. A very popular and very effective treatment for non-productive, dry and irritating cough, but contraindications and side effects should be carefully studied before choosing this medicine as a treatment. Stoptussin drug is suitable for intensive treatment, it is contraindicated for pregnant women in the first trimester, and in the second and third trimesters strictly by doctor’s prescription, you should make sure that the drug is safe for the fetus. Side effects: diarrhea, vomiting, nausea, drowsiness, skin rash, decreased appetite, dizziness, and headache.
- Facilitates expectoration considerably;
- Relieves dry cough.
- Contraindicated in prolonged and chronic cough.
A good cough medicine, proven to work from the first days of use. Relieves pain rapidly, improves sputum production, removes cough. Effective for cough caused by flu, acute respiratory infections, acute pharyngitis, acute laryngitis, chronic bronchitis, allergic diseases.
- Can be used in children from 3 years old;
- Relieves pain;
- It can be used in combination therapy, since it is compatible with other drugs;
- Easy to take, does not require drinking;
- The effect comes from the first day of taking it;
- Able to treat coughs of different etiologies.
- Rare individual reaction to the drug components.
Antiseptic, anti-cough remedy eliminates non-productive, reflex cough, thinning sputum, relieves irritation. Tablets can be sucked up to ten times a day, Falimint is contraindicated for children under 4 years old, nursing mothers and pregnant women. After using Faliminitis should refrain from eating and drinking liquids. The antiseptic drug Falimint is not intended for long-term use.
- Highly effective for non-productive cough;
- It has a disinfectant effect;
- A safe drug;
- It is prohibited for use in small children;
- Categorically prohibited during pregnancy and while breastfeeding.
2. Doctor Mom (lozenges, syrup, warming ointment)
The line of herbal remedies Doctor Mom has an excellent expectorant effect and sputum removal. This medicine contains: basil, ginger, aloe, elecampane, licorice, etc.
- Doctor Mom herbal lozenges are productive during coughing and perspiration. Unique combination of medicinal herbs helps to relieve inflammation and coughing pain. Herbal lozenges include: ginger extract, licorice extract and emblica. The lozenges are recommended to be sucked up 1 piece, every 2 hours, so the daily dose is a maximum of 10 lozenges. They can be used from 14 years of age.
- Doctor Mom herbal syrup has a complex effect: it removes sputum, clears the bronchi, and is also a preventive drug. The syrup contains 10 medicinal herbs and is suitable for the treatment of small children from 3 years.
- Warming ointment Doctor Mom is recommended to apply to the back or chest. The warming effect of the ointment helps in the fight against both dry and wet cough. The main active ingredients of the drug – eucalyptus oil, as well as menthol. Thanks to its composition, the ointment is also absolutely safe for children. Doctor Mom ointment is strictly contraindicated in high temperatures.
- Softens the cough;
- It has a pleasant taste;
- Is a preventive medicine;
- Can be used for a long time;
- May cause an allergic reaction;
- Not particularly effective for bad coughs.
The abundantly pronounced mucalytic effect that this drug has on the body allows it to be considered one of the best remedies in the fight against wet cough. ACC is effective and safe in the treatment of diseases of the bronchopulmonary system, oral cavity, nasopharynx. It also has anti-cough and anti-inflammatory effects. A drug that helps thin sputum, mucopurulent and purulent sputum, comes in granular (100/200 mg) orange-flavored syrup and comes in effervescent tablets Ats Long.
ACC is contraindicated in pregnant women, especially in early pregnancy, with caution should be used by nursing mothers. To avoid respiratory congestion, ACC is not combined with paracetamol or other anti-cough medications.
- Effectively removes sputum;
- Pleasant taste;
- It relieves coughs;
- Practical packaging;
- Helps with a huge number of diseases of the respiratory system.
- Possible development of allergies;
- Many contraindications;
- Contraindicated in breastfeeding and pregnancy.
Folk remedies for coughs
- Natural antibiotic;
- Pleasant to the taste;
- No side effects.
- Contraindicated for people who are allergic to honey;
- Not recommended for use with ulcers and diabetes mellitus.
Best cough medicines for children
The best cough medicines for children are:
Prospan and Gedelix
Made from thermopsis, marshmallow, essential oils and licorice. These substances promote rapid contraction of the bronchi and make bronchial mucus most fluid, also increase the amount of mucus.
The best remedy for dry cough for children is inhalation, steam and moisturizing sprays. Steam inhalations with essential oils or herbal decoctions provide antimicrobial and anti-inflammatory effects. Also this range is complemented by alkaline mineral water and natural milk.
The treatment of a cough must be multifaceted, and it is recommended to treat it from different angles: use inhalations, gargle and so on. For an effective effect, the choice of cough medicine should be made responsibly, strictly following the dosage and instructions for use, understanding which drug is preferable to which age category, as well as taking care of the proper storage of medicines. And do not forget to consult a doctor, because self-treatment does not always promise a positive result. Take care of your health.
I do not know why, but I have not seen any effect from bronchodilator:( I was so upset, I was told that it was a strong medicine. I was so upset, I was told it was strong medicine. Eventually I used Hedelix that was left after my son had a cold and it cured me fast. So understand…
In fact, everything is individual, you have to try. I did not appreciate Prospan, although gedelix on the same basis works great for me. # It doesn’t seem to make any difference? Apparently, everything is important here both the additives and the method of manufacture…
I think it all depends on the manufacturer. Gedelix German, German medicines are generally good.
And they are not cheap… I don’t understand why our people can’t learn to make such syrups. We tried to reproduce gedelix,. I don’t remember the name of the medicine, but they wouldn’t even take it… Although what’s so hard about it, we have ivy growing here.
The best quality medicine is made in France.
7 Home Remedies To Stop A Bad Cough
It was the only thing that helped us, we tried all folk remedies, we took ambroxol too
In our case Gedelix did not help at all
I take a complex treatment. But under a doctor’s care. I soothe my throat with tea and butter and jam. From coughs I use with success the medicine Bronhobos. They are good for breathing and phlegm. It helps get rid of mucus in the lungs. I also drink a lot of warm liquids.
We have productive and non-productive coughs?
Try folk remedies – onions with sugar, — candy; burnt sugar
I have tried almost all the medicines listed. I only trust Hedelix. But I rarely take it either, after all, it does not cost a penny. It seems to me that the cough is a case where you can do with folk remedies.
It’s clear from the comments who paid for the article
Why pay for an article if you can just write a comment (for free?))
And I take gedelix myself, not only children. Very convenient that it suits both
Old tried-and-true medications: cough mucoltin; Valokordin for stress and headache; activated charcoal for poisoning. A must-have in the first aid kit, especially Valokordin, because everyone is nervous these days constantly.
In fact – to each his own remedy. Many criteria for choice, some on price, some on naturalness, some on special indications. So I chose for myself G-, yes, the price is high, but the composition is natural. You only live once, you have to take care of yourself!
I started taking it when I caught the kids myself after a cold and the whole family was left with tea, milk and honey
So many comments about hedelix, it’s quite expensive. Isn’t it easier to buy the same ivy extract, mint, add honey and there you have homemade hedelix in composition?
All medicines feel like they are from the Soviet era. Well, medicine is moving forward! We were always taking Mr. as an antidepressant and A- as an expectorant. Of course, lemon and raspberry teas, milk with honey and the next day my husband was like a cure-all
I took some folk medicine advice and made radishes with honey. It’s not an ordinary recipe, but it made my cough less bad. I also tried a recipe with aloe and honey and it almost made my cough go away. I always try to use folk medicine if I can. But in severe cases I always go to the doctor for advice.
To relieve coughs, I give my child syrup A-. It helps sputum come out of the lungs. Usually on the second day my son can cough up normally. I took it myself when I had a cold. It is tasty and effective!
It relieves coughs well and without complications thanks to Bronchobos. I always treat a wet cough with it and give it to children. The mucus comes out of the lungs quickly and the lungs heal faster
There are many drugs, you have to try what works for someone. I like the effect of Renganilin in dry coughs, it quickly becomes productive and goes away completely.
I also treat my baby with rengalin, I like the fact that it is used for both dry and wet cough, you can not get confused.
Radish juice did not help us, neither did the compresses. It was good to start medical treatment just in time, we almost missed the cough. Apicold syrup thyme and after five days the cough was gone because the sputum started to come out actively.
My daughter has a cough, snot for 4 weeks where something and the doctor appointed pospomox, inhalation, all doing but does not pass, I do not know what to do help (8 months)
Recently we had an acute respiratory infection with my daughter, the cough in both of them dragged on. When my daughter’s doctor prescribed Prospan syrup. I bought a larger bottle, 200 ml, and took it with her. The syrup tastes good, its composition is natural. It helped us quickly.
We usually treat dry cough with Prospan. Has never failed us. The doctor also advised to do breathing exercises, so the mucus goes away faster. And a walk in the fresh air, if there is no fever.
Renga… the tablet can be sucked up, which is interesting to the child and eat the solution, too.
- Top 11 best remedies for colic in newborns
- Top 10 best pills for weight loss
- What to do in acute pain – the best pain relief pills
- Top 10 best tablets for high blood pressure, how to choose a drug for hypertension
- Not the ugly seven, or the top seven Tarantino movies