Safety is the most important component of road traffic. But more importantly, it is knowing that the smallest and most valuable passenger is sitting in a car seat and is well protected. It’s not the style or color scheme that counts when choosing a car seat. «Expert Price» has ranked the best child car seats, based on the results of crash tests by leading car magazines and car clubs around the world. Source: https://best-store-us.com/top-child-car-seats-based-on-crash-test-results-and-reviews/
To compile a rating of car seats we used crash test results from the following sources:
- ADAC – the German car club annually conducts crash tests of child car seats, evaluating models according to the following parameters: protection, ergonomics, environmental friendliness, care;
- VTI — tests are conducted by the Swedish Road Traffic Research Institute; the program is called Plus Test, assessing the load on a child’s neck at the time of a collision; participation in the program — is voluntary and the test conditions are — are some of the strictest, only rear-facing child seats can be tested;
- ANWB – Dutch Automobile Association, annually conducts tests of car seats, the evaluation principle is similar to the ADAC;
- TCS – Swiss Car Club, which evaluates car seats on two fronts: protection and usability;
- STIFTUNG WARENTEST – The reputable German magazine, which conducts independent consumer tests, car seats are tested together with the ADAC, evaluating the protection and usability of the seat;
- RACC – Spanish automobile club, evaluated according to four parameters, like the ADAC;
- Autoreview – USA’s largest magazine for car enthusiasts, the evaluation was conducted on several parameters: protection of the head, chest, abdomen, legs, spine (separately) and usability;
- Autoliitto – Finnish automobile club, the evaluation principle is similar to the ADAC;
- OAMTC – Austrian car club, has been testing car seats since 2001, similar to ADAC.
In addition, we looked at customer reviews, which can tell us more about the comfort and ease of use of the car seat.
Rating of the best car seats according to crash test results
|The best car seats for children under 10 kg (group 0, approx. up to 1 year)||1||Maxi-Cosi Pebble Pro i-Size||9.8 / 10||23 900|
|2||BeSafe iZi Go Modular||9.6 / 10||19 990|
|3||Maxi-Cosi Rock||9.6 / 10||20 500|
|The best car seats for children under 13 kg (Group 0+, approx. 1.5 years)||1||Cybex Aton M i-Size||9.8 / 10||18 700|
|2||BRITAX ROMER Baby-Safe 2 i-Size||9.7 / 10||40 900|
|3||Peg Perego Primo Viaggio i-Size||9.6 / 10||26 400|
|4||Joie i-Gemm||9.5 / 10||11 000|
|5||SimpleParenting Doona+||9.4 / 10||27 900|
|The best car seats for children up to 18 kg (Group 0+/1, approx. up to 4 years old)||1||Besafe iZi Twist B||9.8 / 10||36 260|
|2||Maxi-Cosi AxissFix||9.7 / 10||48 900|
|3||Cybex Sirona M2 i-Size||9.5 / 10||28 690|
|4||Maxi-Cosi MiloFix||9.4 / 10||28 100|
|The best car seats for children from 9 to 18 kg (group 1, approximately 1 to 4 years of age)||1||Britax Roemer Trifix 2 i-Size||9.9 / 10||29 000|
|The best car seats for children from 9 to 36 kg (group 1/2/3, approximately 1 to 12 years)||1||Cybex Pallas S-Fix||9.8 / 10||30 700|
|2||Cybex Pallas 2-Fix||9.6 / 10||28 000|
|The best car seats for children from 15 to 36 kg (group 2/3, approximately 4 to 12 years old)||1||Maxi-Cosi RodiFix||9.9 / 10||18 400|
|2||Maxi-Cosi Kore||9.9 / 10||25 100|
|3||Cybex Solution Z i-Fix||9.7 / 10||24 800|
|4||Mifold Hifold Fit and Fold Booster||9.2 / 10||13 200|
Best car seats for children under 10 kg (Group 0, approx. up to 1 year)
Maxi-Cosi Pebble Pro i-Size
Opening our ranking of the best car seats in the 0+ category is one of the few car seats rated in 2019 «excellent» safety rating from the Dutch association ANWB. Designed for children up to 75 cm tall and up to 12 kg. Like the other group 0 models, it can only be placed against the traffic and changed to the next group as soon as the baby’s head starts to protrude over the upper edge of the seat. Car seat is praised in reviews for comfort and ergonomics, parents rave about quality upholstery fabric and adjustable seat belts with a reclining mechanism. Recommended for use in combination with the 2 Way Fix base, but can easily be attached using standard tools. Equipped with an anchor belt for maximum safety.
- ECE 129 i-Size compliant;
- High frontal and side impact protection scores;
- comfortable harness straps;
- quality breathable upholstery;
- has an anchor bracket;
- can be mounted on the chassis;
- great cover.
- expensive base, not included.
BeSafe iZi Go Modular
Among the best infant car seats in our ranking, the BeSafe iZi Go Modular takes pride of place. This model was rated «well» Six crash tests (ADAC, ANWB, OAMTC, Autoliitto, TCS in 2016). Streamlined ovoid shape of the seat, soft shoulder pads on the integrated harness straps, additional infant insert increases the safety of the baby, making the trip more relaxing and comfortable. Manufactured by HTS.
- Has an anatomical cushion, can be used from birth,
- installation — Facing against traffic,
- 5-point car belts,
- Can be installed on the stroller (adapter available),
- carrying handle, sun and wind shade, removable cover.
- soft padded shoulder straps combined with a newborn pad.
Lightweight and comfortable child restraint seat that provides good protection in case of an accident. Mounted on the FamilyFix One i-Size base, but can also be used without the base (belt fixation). The seat successfully passed the 2018 ANWB crash test and received a good rating for safety. The seat is ergonomically designed to be comfortable for the child, and the upholstery is high quality to avoid slipping and sliding. Only 3.8 kg weight. Seat approved in accordance with R129 (i-Size) and designed for heights of 45 – 75 cm. Also approved for use on certain aircrafts.
- low weight;
- Compliant with standard R129 (i-Size);
- Ability to mount on the chassis;
- removable padding;
- Can be used with or without a base.
- Fastening – with standard seat belts, base must be purchased separately.
the best car seats for children under 13 kg (Group 0+, approx. up to 1.5 years of age)
Cybex Aton M i-Size
Good value for money car seat. The seat boasts an advanced side protection system, an integrated XXL size visor and a comfort headrest height adjustment system. Anatomic shell allows an almost horizontal position for your baby. In 2017, the Aton M i-Size was tested with the Base M i-Size isofix and rated «well» from ADAC and ANWB, and «highly recommended» from TCS, which can be considered a great result. Developed for children between 45 and 87 cm in height. weight 4,2 kg.
- i-Size certification;
- Can be mounted on the chassis of strollers Cybex and many other manufacturers;
- anatomical padding;
- large sectional hood;
- central belt tensioner;
- Both Isofix base and belt attachment are possible;
- can be used on an airplane.
- base is not included (costs the same as the seat itself);
- the upholstery is not airtight.
BRITAX ROMER Baby-Safe 2 i-Size
This car seat is rated «great» From ANWB in 2017 in terms of safety, frontal impact protection, side impact protection, upholstery quality, ease of installation and no harmful substances. TCS has given it a 2018 test rating of «highly recommended». Maximum safety child seat with Isofix base, on which the seat can be easily and stably installed. Belt height is adjustable. The car seat is comfortable to use as a carrier and carrycot for a stroller of the same brand. weight 4.7 kg.
- Interior head restraint can be adjusted to 7 different heights,
- five-point seat belts,
- orthopedic padding that reduces strain on a child’s back,
- Fits in seconds,
- Backrests with the back of the seat facing the direction of travel,
- With removable sun visor and carrying handle,
- Compliant with ECE 129 i-Size,
- 3-in-1 system: car seat, carrycot, cradle.
- the seat is narrow;
- the protective upholstery creates an additional greenhouse effect – It can be very hot for a baby;
- high price.
Peg Perego Primo Viaggio i-Size
Peg Perego Primo Viaggio i-Size continues our ranking of the best car seats popular in 2022. The car seat is suitable for children from 40 to 83 cm and can be installed against the direction of travel. Seat is quite large and roomy, but heavy (weight 4.7 kg). The seat is equipped with an anatomical pad for the smallest children, but it is not completely horizontal. According to TCS testing in 2019, the car seat is highly recommended for use, and tests by the Dutch association ANWB in the same year confirmed this data with a score of «great» in terms of «Safety». The seat is part of a modular system in which different child seats can be mounted on the same ISOFIX base, so it is possible to use the base for Peg Perego car seats for other age groups. The device can also be used without the base, but please note that, when using the seatbelt, the strap length may not be long enough (depending on the make of the car).
- i-Size certification;
- High protection in front and side crashes;
- comes with the base;
- good price for the kit;
- The base is universal for all PegPerego car seats;
- compatible with PegPerego strollers chassis;
- cumbersome, as a carrier is a bit heavy;
- difficult to secure with belts (if used without a base);
- No horizontal position for infants.
Several testing organizations gave this car seat good marks for safety, ergonomics, absence of toxic components (TCS and ANWB crash tests from 2016). Comes with anatomic cushion, padded inner harness straps, sunshade, carrying handle. The child safety harness can be gradually adjusted to the size of the baby. Thanks to the rounded base, it can be used as a rocking chair to lull your baby. Fitted with car’s regular belt or Isofix (when using a base). The base has an affordable price compared to other brands.
- i-Size certification;
- relatively low price;
- increased protection against side impact;
- The headrest and seat belts are adjustable;
- The cover is hypoallergenic, removable and easy to wash;
- compatible with Joie strollers (without adapter) and Maxi-Cosi strollers (via adapter);
- Can be used with or without base.
- Short straps, tight buckle;
- weight 4,9 kg.
Rated «good» ADAC (++ for environmental friendliness) and TCS in 2015. Transformer Car Seat — easily convertible into a stroller, maneuverable, silent and very beautiful.
- It can be installed with the back facing forward,
- Can be used as a rocking chair,
- Extra side impact protection,
- Has a carrying handle, sun visor,
- the upholstery can be easily removed,
- transforms into a stroller.
- when folding the stroller, the wheels (dirty) sometimes have to be adjusted by hand, they do not fold themselves.
The best car seats for children up to 18 kg (group 0+/1, approx. 4 years old)
Besafe iZi Twist B
Maximum safety, but very heavy child seat in which children under 4 years of age can only be secured against the direction of travel. The seat tilts to the side for easier boarding. In the ADAC crash test the product received 1.5 points for safety, which means «very well» and 2,1 points for ergonomics («good»). ANWB gave the maximum ++ rating for safety parameters and absence of harmful substances. In general, this is the safest seat on the USA market, but with its own drawbacks. The price is high, but it’s worth remembering that this is the cost of a kit with a base.
- i-Size certification;
- high degree of safety;
- swivel seat;
- five-point safety belts.
- high price;
- weight of about 15 kg
- Locking only through isofix;
- Position only against the car’s travel.
The car seat is rated «highly recommended» From TCS in 2018 and «well» from ANWB in 2017, while earning high marks for safety, ergonomics, upholstery quality and non-toxicity and less for usability, although it is one of those models in which every detail has been thought out. AxissFix can be used for children from 61 to 105 cm (approx. 4 months to 4 years). The Axissi AxissFix model has the particular advantage of carrying a child facing inwards as well as outwards, with his back to the front and backwards. This is possible thanks to the swivel seat, which is fixed in different positions.
- A seat that swivels 360°;
- Isofix + anchor belt;
- i-Size for enhanced safety;
- there is a slight adjustment of the backrest tilt.
- The most expensive chair in our ranking;
- Difficult to buckle up.
Cybex Sirona M2 i-Size
One of the best midsize car seats currently available. The car seat has been rated «well» by ADAC and TCS in the 2016 crash test. Designed for two age groups of infants, it is reliable, practical and elegant. Children under 4 years of age are carried in it only against the direction of travel. The seat frame can be turned to the side for easier boarding.
Although the car seat is suitable for carrying infants in the car, it cannot be used as a carrier. Durable and long-lasting: according to the manufacturer, it has an uninterrupted service life of 8 years.
- the seat can be installed facing the opposite direction as well as facing the direction of travel (use “backwards” up to 105 cm tall);
- The floor support adds to the stability;
- 5-position adjustable backrest, headrest – в 12;
- 5-point seat belts with pads;
- Can be used from birth (anatomical padding);
- adjustable side impact protection;
- Bowl swivels 90 degrees.
- Only attaches to the Isofix base;
- weight – 14 kg.
The car seat was tested by the German automobile club ADAC, TCS and Stiftung Warentest in 2013, and awarded a good score. Very comfortable, wide. Conveniently fits even in a confined space, in a semi-recumbent position, without any obstacle. Anchor mount works on the counterweight principle.
- additional anchor system Top Tether;
- Both upright (for children up to 13 kg) and reversible (for children up to 18 kg);
- has a swivel mechanism;
- Adjustable backrest tilt, comfortable headrest;
- well-developed side protection;
- 5-point safety harness with anti-slip pads.
- Only attaches to the Isofix base,
- no horizontal position for toddlers,
- The child sweats a lot in the seat.
Best car seats for children from 9 to 18 kg (group 1, approximately 1 to 4 years old)
Britax Roemer Trifix 2 i-Size
The German ADAC club gave this car seat a score of 2.1 («good»). National Automobile Portal «Autoreview» Agree with it: in its own 2022 study, it ranked the car seat RöThe Trifix is one of the best. Facing forwards, it is optimally adapted to the needs of children from 76 to 105 cm in height, from 9 to 22 kg in weight, and can comfortably carry babies from 15 months to 4 years of age. Anchor belt Top Tether gives extra protection against tipping over. Large padded sides and v-shaped head restraint help protect your child in case of a side collision. The seat is roomy but compact.
Keeping children safe in crashes: Overview
- Manufactured to ECE 129 i-SIZE standard;
- swivel mechanism;
- Large protective sidewalls;
- color-coded isofix and anchor belt position indicators.
- a little heavy (10.8 kg).
The best car seats for children from 9 to 36 kg (group 1/2/3, approximately 1 to 12 years old)
Cybex Pallas S-Fix
The Cybex Pallas S-Fix wins in the category of the best car seats for children from 9 to 36 kg. The Pallas series is a successful line of car seats in which the harness is replaced by a comfortable table. S-Fix model throughout 2018-2022. has been rated «good» и «very well» crash-tested by ADAC, TCS, OEAMTC, ANWB, international magazine Auto-Bild. S-Fix car seat for the car transportation of children from 9 months to 12 years. Up to 3-4 years of age it is used with a table and a plastic base to adjust the angle of the seat. The table is depth-adjustable so that the passenger is not cramped. Table and base can then be removed and the seat upgrades to group 2/3. The child and the seat can be secured with the adult safety belt.
- ECE approved to ECE 44-04;
- versatility, long life;
- the safety table protects better than belts;
- increased side-impact protection;
- adjustable tilt angle;
- Three headrest positions.
- The table gets hot in summer.
Cybex Pallas 2-Fix
The car seat was tested by the German automobile club ADAC in 2011 in the following crash test «good». Production Germany.
- the seat is equipped with a removable safety cushion;
- the system of additional side air cushions;
- headrest is adjustable in 11 height and 3 recline positions;
- Mounting either with a standard car belt or on an Isofix base;
- removable covers for easy care.
- weight – 11.2 kg;
- Position «lying» is not too different from a seated one;
- The upholstery materials are not very high quality.
The best car seats for children from 15 to 36 kg (child group 2/3, approx. 4 to 12 years of age)
Best car seat in this rating category, rated «good» ADAC test results, ÖAMTC, Autoliitto, ANWB, Stiftung Warentest in 2012., then ADAC in 2016. (+ for safety, comfort and care, ++ for performance and environmental features). Easily adjustable for height and width of the child. Patented Airprotect air release technology reliably protects the head in case of a side impact.
- The seat is fastened in the vehicle with the Isofix base or with the normal seatbelt;
- AirProtect technology and side protection system;
- The inclination of the headrest and backrest is adjustable;
- height and width of the backrest can be adjusted simultaneously;
- belt guide;
- easy access to the buckle;
- the cover is removable.
- there are complaints of squeaking in the interior.
The car seat has been tested in 2022 by ADAC, ANWB, OAMTC and TCS clubs and has been rated «well». Particular mention was made of the full side protection from knees to head that is achieved by high impact absorption fiberglass shock absorbers built into the sides. Parents praise its easy stowage as well as its comfortable height and width adjustments. Core and Core Pro models differ only in the presence of the ClickAssist sensor light for easy buckle finding and snapping.
- New ECE129 i-Size certified
- Low weight (6 kg);
- advanced side protection system;
- «growing» design.
- hard to remove.
Cybex Solution Z i-Fix
This seat is rated by ADAC, TCS and ANWB in the 2022 test «well»/«highly recommended». A good child car seat for children from 4 years of age (100 to 150 cm, up to 36 kg) with the optional Isofix anchor system. This increases lateral stability and prevents the seat from tipping over when cornering. The device has shown low risk of injury in front and side crashes, high stability in the car, and excellent ergonomics and non-toxicity parameters.
- ECE regulation 44-04;
- high crash protection;
- extended side protection;
- passive ventilation system;
- The headrest and backrest are adjustable.
- the cover is difficult to remove;
- the fabric can get snagged;
- Takes up relatively much space.
Mifold Hifold Fit and Fold Booster
Popular seat that has been tested by ADAC, ANWB, OAMTC and TCS clubs and rated by all «satisfactorily». A folding child seat that is relatively easy to use. Designed for mobile parents who travel a lot or use carsharing and cabs. The seat is lightweight (4.6 kg) and requires relatively little storage space when folded. In the event of an accident, it provides satisfactory protection. A compromise solution if a full-fledged seat is not available for an older child. Certified to the old standard.
- folding, mobile;
- low weight;
- The backrest reclines;
- adjustable headrest.
- Insufficient protection against side impact;
- thin padding.
How to choose a child car seat?
The current gradation takes into account the age and weight of the child, but does not yet take into account height (although this is already in the new European standard). There are 4 main seat groups:
- Group 0. Baby weighs less than 13 kg, used from birth to 18 months. This is a convertible car seat that is mounted on a separate base facing counterclockwise.
- Group 0+. Used from birth to approx. 1.5 years old and suitable for children up to 18 kg. Many models in this group have the option of rearward-facing or forward-facing.
- Group 1. Weight of the child from 9 to 18 kg, age from 1 to 4 years old, fastened facing the direction of travel.
- Group 3. Weight 22 to 36 kg, ages 6 to 12. Facing in front of the vehicle.
In addition to the basic ones, there are universal groups with wider age and weight limits:
- 0/1 – from 0 to 4 years old, up to 18 kg
- 0/1/2 – up to 7 years old and up to 25 kg
- 0/1/2/3 – from birth to 36 kg (age 12);
- 1/2/3 – ages 1 to 12 and 9 to 36 kg;
- 2/3 – from 4 to 12 years and from 15 to 36 kg.
All car seats according to this criterion can be divided into two groups:
- without anchoring system (fixation to the regular seat belts);
- With lashing system (Isofix or Latch).
Note at a glance that some seats can ONLY be fastened with the seat belt, while others can be used with Latch and Isofix as an additional anchoring system. It usually depends on the age group, be sure to look for the exact information in the manufacturer’s description.
The pluses of the belt fixation:
- universality (all cars have seatbelts);
- Cost cutting (seats without a base cost notably less).
But there are also big disadvantages: firstly, such seat has to be fastened every time, and you have to do it correctly, strictly according to the instructions, which takes a lot of time. Second, the safety indicators are seriously inferior to the Isofix and Latch systems. The third thing is that in some cars the straps are not long enough to fasten the seat.
Isofix has been an international standard for securing child safety seats since 1995. All European cars have been equipped with this system since 2011. True Isofix is two brackets in the base of the seat + 2 brackets for them in the car seat + telescopic stop or anchor belt Top Tether. An exception are 0+ products which are mounted on a plastic base with the brackets being integrated into the base and the carrycot being attached to it with antidrive clips. Most manufacturers of 0+ car seats offer a wide range of carrier base systems, e.g. Maxi-Cosi’s FamilyFix, Easyfix, Babyfix, 3wayFix.
This mounting system reduces to zero the possibility of improper installation of the seat, as well as increases the degree of child protection. Isofix has the best crash test results for Group 0+ and 1 car seats, provided that you use an anchor belt or telescopic «leg». Please note! In older children’s products this system can no longer manage the load on its own, and is therefore only used in conjunction with the adult harness.
Latch is the American equivalent of Isofix with a similar design. Latch system seats have elastic straps instead of rigid metal cramps. This solution made the seats lighter, cheaper and easier to install / remove (locks can be clicked and unlocked in turn), and the elastic straps noticeably reduce the vibration transmitted from the body to the seat.
The safety standard
Internationally certified car seats are marked with ECE R44 codes (old standard) or ECE 129 (new standard). ECE 129 i-Size — i-Size is an enhanced child car seat safety standard introduced on July 9, 2013. It is intended to gradually replace ECE R44, which has been in force for more than 30 years. Both standards are still in effect right now, but leading manufacturers are actively transitioning to ECE 129 i-Size compliant products.
- Up to 15 months of age and not 9 months. The child’s head weight in the first months of life is disproportionately large, which can be dangerous under hard braking conditions. That’s why you have to carry the little ones «backward-facing» as long as possible.
- Compulsory use of Isofix, the simplest and most straightforward attachment system for car seats today.
- Classification by child’s height, not by weight. The choice of seat will now be as easy as the choice of clothing.
- Mandatory side impact test.
Products tested to any of these standards are quality and reliable. But when you choose an ECE 129 I-Size seat, you are guaranteed the most modern child restraint system for your baby in the car.
What is the best child car seat to buy?
In this rating we have collected only the best models of car seats according to crash-tests and customer reviews. Not all models that received high ratings were included in our rating – we only included those that are common in retail chains. Joie i-Snug, Maxi-Cosi Coral, Nuna Pipa Next, Silver Cross Dream, Klippan Kiss 2 Plus, Britax Römer Dualfix i-Size, Maxo-Cosi Berill, CBX Xelo, CBX Yari, these car seats have earned high marks in our crash-test results, but they are difficult to buy in USA.
Choose a seat based on the weight and age category of your baby, as well as the price you expect to pay. Reviews will help you navigate the comfort of the chair, and crash test results suggest the safest and most reliable.
Total votes – 67 , rating – 4.3
* please note that the reliability of the information and the results of the ratings is subjective and does not constitute an advertisement